Even if it looks almost exactly like its predecessor, Carbone 4 is a complete re-write.
Before we start with its new features, some words for previous users: this version doesn’t provide bug fixes, so if you’re ok with Carbone 3.x and you don’t feel comfortable with updating your design, this is not mandatory. If you plan to update, instead, please read what follows.
- Retina ready!
- Ready-made code injections!
- Move the sidebar to the right
- Change the main font to Georgia /serif
- Remove the “fluo” effect from the header
- Align the header to the right
Relevant to previous users are these changes:
- Support for the “blockquote” object has been added.
- The maximum size of images has increased from 700px to 760px (pages with no sidebar) and from 500px to 550px (pages with sidebar). This means the images are now full-width.
- The design is entirely built on CSS: no images anymore. This means faster loading times and more customization options.
- Sub-menu carets and navigation arrows have a new look.
- The height of submenu items has been slightly reduced.
- Dropped support for Sandvox 1.x. Sorry!
If you plan to upgrade, please back up your previous file in case version 4 doesn’t fulfill your expectations. I don’t think it will happen, but in my opinion this is a good practice for any major upgrade.
This package still includes 18 gradients you can use as background for your header (choosing them as banners). They are not retina-ready: if you’d like a retina ready banner you need to create one and make it 1.800×300px.
Carbone 4.0 requires Sandvox 2.7 or later (2.8 for retina-ready websites).